Monday, February 14, 2011

On Writing

One cool thing about writing and publishing a novel is that you get to talk to people who also love to write. A lot of folks like me find it hard to find time to write. From this experience I can maybe encourage folks with some things I have learned so far.

If you have an idea of a project, commit to a few hours every night. Do this whether you are inspired or not. Just show up and be available. Start an outline as it comes to you and keep it flexible. Write.

When you complete a narrative, re-write it a whole lot. Start to work on a proposal and send it to many Literary Agents. You might get lucky…so make it good. In my case, I did get lucky and received a contract with a top agent.

Another avenue to the publishing process for new authors is to enter contests in literary journals. Choose magazines and journals that fit with your genre. Good agents check these out to find new talent.

Personally, I chose to go with the publisher I have because they are in Oklahoma and are very experienced in new authors. Also, I am very needy and appreciate the attention they give to me. ;-)

Please comment on anything that you have come across on this site. The short story, two chapters of land Run, or any updates to the blog. I appreciate any feedback and open discussions on topics that interest you all.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment